Sunday, October 01, 2006

Meditation and the Curly Scarf


I just finished a curly scarf for both my grand-daughter and my daughter-in-law. They will eventually have some matching hats but I started some beaded mittens and those come first. There is something about hand work that is a form of meditation, a spiritual act. It is not only that it is creative but that there is a disassociation from self as you become focused on the stitches. You feel the yarn running across your fingers. You hear, without hearing, the sound of the needles. After a while you both focus on what you are doing and yet let your mind wander to larger things. I am always amazed when people say they don't have time to knit, crochet, sew -whatever. Whenever I have had a crisis in my life I have always reached for something to make. The other day I heard someone call it all that "knitting-make it crap>" I have to admit that I was insulted. What is wrong with doing an activity that you feel promotes your spiritual well being? I don't know what they do to go "out of themselves" that creating is one of tools I use as a response to daily stress as well as crisis.

1 comment:

peaknits said...

I am with you - I'd be insulted, have been insulted by similar words. Let's pretend they are just jealous!