Monday, October 02, 2006

Secret Pal Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I like to knit with the soft wools, silk blends and bamboo. There is nothing I really hate. There are some nice synthetics out there but I had to use them for many years because it was so difficult to find naturals that I avoid them now

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a tote and a large needle container for my needles. I also have a couple of kits but am giving those to my daughter-in-law who is learning to knit.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I am 60 years old and been knitting since I was about 8 years old. I was taught by a woman who knitted for a living. You used to be able to go to a Department Store in Milwaukee Wisconsin, it was called Schusters. You rode the elevator upstairs and there was an area with lots of yarn. You picked the yarn and pattern and hired the women who sat there to knit it. Although she was not a relative my family was always adopting people and she was one they adopted. One weekend she brought a large pair of wooden needles and taught me to knit. I have taken many breaks from knitting during the years as I also like to sew, crochet. garden, read and craft in general. I don't think of myself as a great knitter but most patterns I use are in the intermediate range. I am quite sure I could do advanced if I found something I just had to make. Skill is in the eye of the beholder but I could figure out most patterns. I do like larger charts..The eyes are not what they once were.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Although I shop through Many internet sites I have never made a wish list.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) Bamboo tea is my favorite followed by lilacs

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Unfortunately I love chocolate

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? No I don't spin. I sew, crochetand garden. Actually anything different catches my attention but those are the ones I keep the most busy with.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Sorry, I am 60% deaf and so music is really not my thing although my computer does have the ability to play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I like most colors although black is nice and dramatic it is something I don't like a lot of.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am divorced and live alone. I have a dog named Napoleon. He is a Chinese Shar Pei. I do have kids and one of them lives only about 7 minutes away so I see his family which includes wife and 2 small ones a lot. The others are living in TX so I don't see as much of them but will be going there in November to see their new house.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I don't wear many scarves. I do wear hats mittens and ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I don't think there is a favorite. I like some of the fast things like socks and mittens but I also enjoy making some more elaborate tops for the granddaughters and others. It is the pattern that catches my eye and that becomes the favorite while I am working on it.

13. What are you knitting right now? Wow, I am finishing a top out of wide ribbon for my oldest granddaughter, a hat to match a potato chip scarf that I made my daughter-in-law, I have one mitten done for myself because I wanted to try them with beading and I am making a tank top with matching shrug that. Lots of projects in the works.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Sure, there are lots of handmade gifts I enjoy.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?I like circular needles. I prefer either bamboo or aluminum.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I don;'t have a winder but I do have a swift.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? I really don't know. As I got older I make myself finish things. But there was a time when it would have been years and I am sure that one is tossed long ago.

18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas

19. Is there anything that you collect? Vintage fabrics, baskets, antiques

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? The only magazine I have a subscription to is Interweave knits. Right now there is no particular pattern but if I see one that could change. I'll post it if I see it.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? If it is there I would be willing to give it a try. I just can't think of anything in particular at the moment

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes, I knit socks for lots of people but I have never knit myself a pair. My foot is 9 1/2 inches long and wide.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) My birthday is 02/11

1 comment:

Nic said...

Thanks for getting your questions posted. I will get you matched up soon. /hostessnic